Thursday, August 5, 2021

How to get out of the house and on a nice long walk!

 

The above picture is from my personal collection and depicts the bridge in Great Barford, Bedfordshire.


For the first post in my nature blog, I thought I would introduce you to one of my great loves - walking!

I grew up in the countryside, in a small village, and I was pretty spoilt for choice when it came to public footpaths to explore. And, explore them I did! I have my rural upbringing to thank for my love of long walks and hiking, and I am ever so grateful that I grew up in the brown, blue, and green of the countryside, rather than the concrete grey and brick red of the town.

So, I thought I might cover a few basic "how to" points of getting out on those dusty/muddy paths, since there are a few things to be taken into consideration. So, here we go . . .


The correct clothing

Before you leave the house check the weather. Most of us have a smart phone in our pockets these days - for better or worse - and it isn't too difficult to find the weather forecast on a weather app. However, having said that, I wouldn't just rely on the one app and I would check what at least two different sites have to say. I have noticed that Google and the BBC site often differ slightly in what they have to say about the weather forecast. Of course, check the sky outside your window, but I live in England where the weather can be sunny one moment and rainy the next. If one or another site or app says there is a chance of rain I take a coat with me. Also, make sure your shoes are water proof; you don't want to end up walking for a couple of hours in sodden trainers because you had to walk through puddles or wet vegetation.

Books, books, books

My other great passion, besides getting out into nature, is books. In fact, my other blog is a book blog (https://monstareader.blogspot.com/). And, there are a lot of good books out there on nature and wildlife; the sorts of things of which you might want to know as you tread country paths. For example, the writer, Tristan Gooley, has written a number of books on being outdoors, and he covers subjects such as weather conditions, topography, and many of the ways in which you can read signs of what lay ahead in the landscape, the sky, and bodies of water, etc. Or, perhaps wildlife is more your thing, in which case you might want to seek out a pocket book to help you identify some of what you might see. That suggestion goes for plants as well, especially if you intend to do a little foraging. Though, in that instance, be sure that you know exactly what you are doing and, especially when it comes to fungi, if you are unsure, leave it alone.

A camera? Binoculars?

If you want to hit the public footpaths with the intention of seeing wildlife, you may wish to take one or both of these with you. I can tell you from experience that wildlife doesn't often hang around when people come blundering through. Get too close and they are liable to take flight. So, take those binoculars, make it easier on yourself, and the wildlife, by observing from a distance. And, if you have a camera with you, you can document those special but all too fleeting moments that you are privileged enough to share with nature. Wildlife photography can be an extraordinarily rich and rewarding pastime, and it allows you to share those beautiful moments with others. You may well inspire love for nature in others through your pictures! Post them to social media - we love to see them!

Tell people where you are going

If you intend to go off walking or hiking alone, tell people where you are going. As with any other physical endeavour, long walks and hikes carry with them a fair share of risks. Going back to the first point on the list, if the weather takes an unexpected turn for the worse, you may find yourself in a position where you are stuck for a while, wishing to take shelter where you can rather than carrying on, especially if paths have become hard to pass in adverse weather conditions. There is, of course, also a risk of injury. If you twist your ankle and you're an hour from anywhere that isn't fields or woodland you are going to be thankful you told someone where you are walking. Tying in with this point, make sure your phone is fully charged before you head out; not only will it mean you can make a call if you find yourself in need, but if you really need to be found, there are apps, such as what3words, that can help to pinpoint your location for others trying to find you.

Money

When I leave the house and head out for a walk, especially if it's a long one, I will have a little cash in my pocket more often than not. Firstly, money can mean food or drinks; I may want or need to stop at a shop to purchase some snacks and water. I have, now and then, been out walking and found myself feeling in need of a little pick me up, a little sugar to keep me going.

Maybe you are heading out fully intending to hit a few places for refreshments; the pub walk is great fun! A nice glass of something cool and refreshing in a cosy pub between hours of hiking country paths is a real treat!

However, a little cash in the pocket could also be used for transport. If you find yourself feeling unexpectedly tired, in adverse conditions, or having suffered an injury, and you are able to acquire access to public transport, you'll thank yourself for having pocketed your wallet before you left.

Leave nothing behind but footsteps

Unfortunately, when you go out into the countryside some of the most colourful things poking out from amongst the grasses are not flowers but plastic wrappers and drinks cans. It's a real shame because though those paths for us might be a great visit and opportunity for a little exercise, for others it is home and habitat. Around those paths are birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and insects. If you were lucky, you probably heard or saw some of them.

You sometimes see some odd things discarded from countryside paths, and tipping in the countryside is an ugly practice. Endeavour to do what you can to disturb and disrupt as little as possible. Not only is it good practice to take any rubbish away, but also keep dogs on lead in the countryside. I know they can love to run free (Monsta was my own dog - hence why this blog is called Monsta Wild), but they can disturb or destroy nests; distress young animals that have been left by adults (leverets or fawns, for example); and, they can alarm farm animals.

Basically, do what you can to leave the paths and countryside you visit as much like they were before you turned up, and pop any litter you have in a bin.


Well, that's it for now. This is by no means an exhaustive list, and if you think of anything else it might be worth remembering before heading out for country walks do let me know in the comments. You can follow/support me over at ko-fi where I post updates on my blogging and writerly endeavours. All support is gratefully received and much appreciated! It keeps me writing and walking! Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Citizen science -- for the good of nature

  Holly blue (Celastrina argiolus) -- Butterfly Conservation undertake the Big Butterfly Count every summer, between July and August. (Photo...