Monday, September 6, 2021

My alter ego and books on nature!

 

One of my bookshelves. When I am not immersed in nature, I am probably immersed in a good book!

In this post to Monsta Wild, I will be embracing my alter ego, Monsta Reader, which is who I become when I feel a need to discuss all things bookish. So, as these two worlds collide, I thought I would pluck a few books from my shelves for you. These books are either about nature and wildlife, or nature and wildlife are a key theme of the book. So, without further ado . . .


What Nature Does for Britain by Tony Juniper

First published in 2015, this book takes a closer look at the ways in which nature underpins Britain's economy and infrastructure. The author makes a case for exactly why we, as a society, ought to be more appreciative of what nature provides us with for free. Juniper sets out the ways in which we need to ensure the survival of the natural world because, if for no other reason, we rely on the natural world so much, perhaps more than you know.

If you would like to buy a copy of What Nature Does For Britain by Tony Juniper, you can do so here.


Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

This number one international bestseller tells the story of Chris McCandless who, in April 1992, hitchhiked to Alaska and walked into the wilderness. Four months later, his body was found by a hunter . . . This is the tale of a young idealistic man who went looking for himself in the call of the wild, a call that led to a sad end.

If you would like to buy a copy of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer, you can do so here.


The Old Ways by Robert MacFarlane

One of my most favourite ways to engage with the nature and wildlife is from some of the well-worn footpaths of the countryside. And in this book, the author takes us down the tracks, holloways, drove-roads and sea paths that form some of the vast ancient network of routes criss-crossing the British Isles and beyond. In this book, MacFarlane connects the paths walked with stories of our ancient predecessors; this is a meditation on walking and engaging with nature, and ourselves.

If you would like to buy a copy of The Old Ways by Robert MacFarlane, you can do so here.


The Moth Snowstorm: Nature and Joy by Michael McCarthy

I enjoy learning about nature and wildlife, and I take pride in being able to walk down a path and identify some of the plants or animals that I see. I take pride in being able to remember the Latin name of a thing. I consider myself a student of nature, and I am awed by the science. But it is the joy, however fleeting it might be, that brings me back time after time. And in this beautiful book, the author explores love for the natural world, and uses that love and joy to defend that natural world increasingly under threat.

If you would like to buy a copy of The Moth Snowstorm: Nature and Joy by Michael McCarthy, you can do so here.


Disclaimer: if you make a purchase through any of these links, I may earn a commission from the seller but that does not impact upon the cost to you, and it does not influence the content of this blog.

bookshop.org, with whom this blog is affiliated, supports local bookshops in the UK.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. If you enjoyed it, you can buy the author a coffee on ko-fi - it fuels the writing and adventures in nature! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Citizen science -- for the good of nature

  Holly blue (Celastrina argiolus) -- Butterfly Conservation undertake the Big Butterfly Count every summer, between July and August. (Photo...