Monday, November 29, 2021

Five books on my nature writing reading list!

 

Losing Eden by Lucy Jones; one of the books on my reading list (photo from personal collection)

Disclaimer: the author of this blog is affiliated with bookshop.org and, if you make a purchase through links in this blog, the blogger might earn a small commission. However, this does not affect the cost of the item, and it does not influence the content of this blog.


During these colder months, with the sun setting in the early evening/late afternoon, I do enjoy settling in with a good book. And so, I thought I might share some of the nature and wildlife writing on my reading list. With Christmas on the way, maybe you'll find a stocking filler below, or maybe you'll spot a familiar favourite. Let me know in the comments!


1. The Book of Trespass by Nick Hayes

I sit here, unsure as to whether I should be including this book on a list of books on nature and wildlife writing. But, as someone who mostly explores nature and wildlife on the public footpaths, rambling and stumbling along in all sorts of weather, I do feel it is appropriate.

This book takes a look at that land that is unknown to the vast majority of us because we are banned from setting foot upon it; the blurb tells us that "by law of trespass, we are excluded from 92 per cent of the land and 97 per cent of its waterways." 

I include this book here for those, like me, whose love of nature and wildlife is nurtured and explored in walking the land of our country (the UK).

You can purchase The Book of Trespass by Nick Hayes here.


2. Losing Eden : Why Our Minds Need The Wild by Lucy Jones

I absolutely loved Lucy Jones' Foxes Unearthed, and wanted this book as soon as I heard of its release.

If this book is anything like the one she wrote on the UK's red fox, I imagine that I will be left inspired to get out there, into nature, with an even greater desire for, and a greater understanding of, our nature and wildlife.

This book provides evidence of how nature benefits us as individuals - how it makes us happier, healthier, and calmer. Lucy Jones is a writer I would whole-heartedly and enthusiastically recommend to anyone interested in nature and wildlife writing!

You can purchase Losing Eden by Lucy Jones here.


3. What Nature Does For Britain by Tony Juniper



If the last entry on the list takes the view that nature benefits us as individuals because of its affect on our physical health, our mental health, and our general wellbeing, then this book takes a look at how nature benefits us as a whole because of how it saves us money and effort.

We find that the work nature does is estimated to be worth about £1.5 trillion each year, and yet we still do damage to the natural systems that provide us with food and water.

In this book, Juniper provides evidence of how nature and wildlife support us, and the work that is being done to repair damage that has been done to those vital natural systems. 

You can purchase What Nature Does For Britain by Tony Juniper here.


4. Village Christmas and Other Notes on the English Year by Laurie Lee

In this collection of writings from Laurie Lee, the author of Cider With Rosie, is a portrait of England throughout the year and seasons. Though this book is more a collection of writings on the sights, sounds, and landscapes of England that the author experienced and loved, rather than purely nature writing, there are found within writings on subjects that lovers of nature and rural life will recognise. With titles such as My Country Childhood; The Lake District; and, A Cold Christmas Walk in the Country, there are a number of beautifully written little portraits of the English rural and natural landscape here that the nature and wildlife lover can enjoy.

You can purchase Village Christmas and Other Notes on the English Year by Laurie Lee here.


5. The Old Ways by Robert MacFarlane

I end this list as I started it - leaning quite heavily into my love of walking to justify this book choice. Still, as I say, my love of walking and nature are intertwined.

And this book is perfect for those with an appreciation for a solitary path, for those that stop still when they hear a call or spot some sign of life.

I think this might be essential reading for the enthusiastic follower of footpaths and lover of nature.

You can purchase The Old Ways by Robert MacFarlane here.


Thank you for reading. You can support my writing with a coffee on ko-fi.com - the caffeine keeps me reading and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Citizen science -- for the good of nature

  Holly blue (Celastrina argiolus) -- Butterfly Conservation undertake the Big Butterfly Count every summer, between July and August. (Photo...