Saturday, February 12, 2022

Pocket guides and long rambles

 



I expect that I shall still be shuffling along countryside paths well into my winter years. I can see it now, a pair of glasses up on my head as I squint at the pages of some pocket guide, dressed in some well worn duffle coat, guide books in one pocket and snacks of some sort stuffed into the other. Perhaps a sandwich wrapped untidily in cling film.

Maybe I will be able to afford a decent pair of binoculars by then!


The two books pictured above are the two guides I make use of most. They supplement my rambles, adding to the wonder I feel, in the presence of the birds and flowers, with the knowledge on every page.

Often, I don't know what I am seeing, hearing, or sometimes even smelling, as I tramp the footpaths. But, with guidebooks like these, I am able to identify what I have seen, which might satisfy my curiosity in itself. And, if it doesn't, it's a great starting point for gathering further information - after identification, I can put a name to what I am looking for!


When I am able to do so, I make a purchase or two from the RSPB Shop. I see it as a win-win situation; they have what I need or want, to bolster my experiences with nature, and in buying from them I am supporting a charity that does great work to conserve the natural world. 

I get great joy and peace out there, by water, amongst the trees, the flowers, the birds . . . and I support anyone that works for the protection of all that.


I am not affiliated with the RSPB in any way, I do not receive any remuneration or commissions for writing about them here. I just believe in the work they do.

You can check out the RSPB's online shop yourself, here, where you can find everything from bird food to books and stationery.

Happy trails!



Thank you for reading. Before you go, I would just like to ask that you consider supporting this blog with a coffee from ko-fi.com - the caffeine helps me focus on the words in my guidebooks!

I write here because of my love for nature and wildlife, and that is what I hope comes across to the reader. So, I have resisted allowing ad space here as much as possible.

On this blog, I may discuss products that I have purchased and make use of, like the guidebooks mentioned above, but these are not paid ads. I am not affiliated with the RSPB - I am not even sure whether or not they have an affiliate programme - and I receive no commission from any clicks or purchases made through the above link.

I just like the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

But, with the time and effort it takes to research, write, proofread, edit . . . every post here, I must ask that readers, if they can, consider supporting this blog. A coffee from ko-fi.com really helps. And, thank you, to every reader and supporter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Citizen science -- for the good of nature

  Holly blue (Celastrina argiolus) -- Butterfly Conservation undertake the Big Butterfly Count every summer, between July and August. (Photo...