Thursday, May 12, 2022

On writing about nature

 

A poppy on the verge of blooming. (Photo from personal collection)


Sometimes I look back at my writing I am very proud. At other times, I look over it with a much more critical eye. Sometimes, for example, I wonder if I am a bit of a rambler, wandering here and there without clear maps and road signs. But then, some of this writing is supposed to be romantic musings and ponderings - a little something of what happens to me when I go out into nature. I am almost as fascinated by nature's affect on people as I am by nature itself. I think that this blog, in my humble opinion, is a collection of really good content and, I hope, writing. And I would love to see it reach a greater readership.


Coming here to write about my experiences in nature allows me the opportunity to understand those experiences better. A great deal of the time, I go outdoors and do not recognise what I see, hear, smell, touch, or taste. But then, intent on documenting what I find, I will snap a picture or make a note. Back at home, I will turn to the internet, and the guide books on my shelves, and do the research, trying to make sense of my experiences out there. Then I come here, to this space, and I write it all out. Hoping that this writing will find an audience, I therefore want both the writing and research to be as good as possible. So, I am made careful and considerate in my discoveries because I don't want to fail anyone that might read this.



Rainwater in tyre tracks; Stevington, Bedfordshire. (Photo from personal collection)


To be honest, my next great goal for my writing is for it to reach a wider audience, a greater readership. I am grateful for everyone that already opens up these posts. And I have noticed those that regularly pop a little thumbs up or a heart under the links as they are shared across social media. But, of course, it is the ambition of many that they would see the thing they love grow. And I do love writing. I would love for it to find more people, for it to generate conversation, and, yes, to make some money. It's the thing that I do best, I think, and, even if it is the root of all evil, I have discovered that money is a necessary evil.


So, there are a few little projects jotted down in my notebooks, there are seeds waiting to be planted, and there are footpaths I still plan to walk. And, along the way, I will most likely take a few snaps and make a few notes. Then, back at home, I will do the research I need to do to understand what I have found. Fascinated by these discoveries, the desire to write and present my findings will bring me back to this space. And hopefully, some of the verdant power, the scents of wild roses bloomed, the sound of robin song bursting from treetops, will find their way into these pages. And with that, a little science and information to demystify what we find out there. From there, yes, I want to nurture the writing and make something profitable of this endeavour. But it's not huge amounts of money and recognition I seek. I don't want adverts and links in this space, littering these pages, like green verges covered in gaudy plastic and aluminium rubbish - I want to do this honestly and on my own terms. Or not at all.



My container of poppies. (Photo from personal collection)


I am fairly certain that my limited success thus far is my own doing. There is plenty that I am not doing, and plenty that I do not understand. I could be much more aggressive in my self-promotion. I could do a lot more research into how I could fill these pages with key words that would make them much more likely to pop up in search engine results. I could allow ads to use these pages as a space to entice readers to click and buy and click and buy and click . . . But I don't want to do that. I want the writing to be good, not just content that sells. I strive for integrity. 


I want to bring you more observations, experiences, and discoveries. To do that, I need your support. Please, share this page, or another from this blog that you enjoyed or found informative. If you regularly click through to these pages from social media links, cut out the middle man and subscribe. If you enjoy a read, click on that little like button at the end of the article. And, if you can, send a tip to the writer (links and info at the bottom of this piece). I would ask that you bear these requests in mind, not just when you read this blog, but when you read anything that you think is well-written and well-researched. We need to support those writers, because otherwise we will just end up with content and clickbait.



Before you go, can I ask that you please consider supporting this blog with a coffee from ko-fi.com.

I resist allowing advertisements here as much as possible, preferring the generation of conversation over the generation of clicks and sales. In this way, every piece can be written freely with consideration only for the writer's experiences and research, rather than commercial and corporate influences.

If you can, please visit ko-fi.com where you can leave a small donation, and also find other examples of my writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Citizen science -- for the good of nature

  Holly blue (Celastrina argiolus) -- Butterfly Conservation undertake the Big Butterfly Count every summer, between July and August. (Photo...