Friday, March 11, 2022

Domestic cats in nature

 

Cute cat (Image found on Pinterest)



Oh, to live like a cat! 

To spend trouble-free days lazing when I pleased, in sunny spots and cosy spaces. Perhaps watching the birds flitting and flying. Though, I would minus out the instinctual desire to pounce and predate those feathered friends in my fantasy feline existence . . .


Whenever I am out and about, traipsing some public path, on one of my rambles, and I spot a cat lurking in hedgerows or bushes, conflicting feelings arise. You see, I can't help but be charmed by the animal because, well, they are beautiful in their grace, and perfect. But, in the back of mind, hover thoughts of how they, taken together, all those domestic cats out there, are adding to the pressures on wildlife populations that are struggling. I think of Scottish wildcats, and birds, and amphibians . . .

Concerns about how domestic cats, given the freedom of the outdoors, and their impact upon wildlife populations, are shared by conservation charities and organisations, especially, it seems, those organisations which are fighting to protect and conserve songbirds.


The RSPB website tells us that no scientific evidence is available that suggests cats are causing a significant decline in bird populations. However, the page does acknowledge that domestic cat predation is affecting bird species that are declining, and it would therefore "be prudent to reduce cat predation as, although it is not causing the declines, some of these species are already under pressure."

Some dispute this claim that there is "no scientific evidence", however, instead suggesting that there have been no adequate studies undertaken in the first place. Songbird Survival, an independent UK charity that strives for the conservation of songbird species, has undertaken studies of cats, domestic cat predation, and the attitudes of cat owners towards cat welfare and the welfare of wildlife.


Whenever I spot a cat in our garden, I open the French doors and spook it away. I do this because there are spaces in the garden that have been intentionally created for the birds out there - bird bath and feeders, for example - and I do not consider that domestic cat predation is natural. As far as I can see, the domestic cat is, well, a domestic animal, an animal under the care of human beings, and therefore human responsibility. 

As a past dog owner, I feel, if I were to have allowed my dog to play on her every natural instinct, she would have been labelled a "problem dog", and removed from my care. That isn't to say, of course, that dog owners can't be more responsible in how they impact local wildlife and nature - dog mess in the countryside and dogs off lead being allowed to run as they please through woodland, for example, are greatly problematic!


As I say, I love cats as much as I love any other animal, and I wouldn't see the welfare of domestic cats decline. But, to be responsible cat owners means to consider not only their welfare, but also how their behaviour impacts upon others, just as we suggest dog owner responsibility doesn't end with the welfare of the dogs, but continues into how owners mange their pet's impact. Cleaning up after dogs, for example.

When I shoo cats from out the garden, I notice that they tend to have something in common - no collars. It is suggested, by conservation charities such as Songbird Survival, that cats wear collars with bells on, or collars like the BirdBeSafe collar, which give birds a better chance to spot any domestic cats that might be caught in their instinctual drive to hunt.

To sate that natural instinct, owners might also incorporate games into their cats lives that satisfy hunting instincts.


Having drawn comparisons between expectations placed on dog owners and how cat owners care for their animals, I do recognise that these animals are very different. However, it is not that I am suggesting similar methods of care be employed, but that similar levels of expectation with regard to responsibility be placed upon owners. If the dog owner must take responsibility for mess and their pet's behaviour towards people and other animals, it seems a shame that some cat owners simply open their doors for their animals, and allow them to do as they please. And, yes, again I acknowledge that many dog owners are not perfect and do behave irresponsibly. The comparison is made because of my own perceived disparity in expectations of responsibility. But, maybe I am wrong, and I would be happy to read your thoughts in the comments!



With spring and summer months around the corner, I am thinking of those fledgling birds that will be leaving their nests a few months from now. I am thinking of the world that they will be entering, and the adversities they will face. I am thinking that their are enough odds against them, that we should be doing everything we can.

Pet owners need to consider the ways in which their furry family members affect the nature and wildlife around them. When dog owners take their canine friends into the woods, consider that their will be ground nesting birds and young mammals out there that are striving to survive. And, cat owners, your feline friend is beautiful, but its every instinct oughtn't to be indulged if it comes at the cost of wildlife that has enough troubles to face already.


I once had a lovely experience, when I traipsed through a local churchyard. I stopped a while, taking to a bench to rest, and the most wonderfully friendly little black cat came and sat with me. And we sat together, this cat and I, and his company definitely made it harder to leave. He snoozed, and I stroked his soft fur. Cats are awesome, but I love other animals and wildlife too - they are a gift - and these domestic animals are our responsibility.


Disclaimer: this blog is not in affiliated with any of the products or organisations that are linked to in this post. These links are simply there for readers to consider.


Thank you for reading. Just before you go, can you please consider supporting this blog with a coffee from ko-fi.com  the caffeine keeps me considering my own impact on the natural world!

I resist ad space in this blog, wishing to generate greater things than sales here, but with writerly ambitions and the time that it takes to create every post, I seek support from the readers. 

If you can, visit ko-fi.com - the price of a coffee is a real boost - and I thank every reader and every supporter, thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Citizen science -- for the good of nature

  Holly blue (Celastrina argiolus) -- Butterfly Conservation undertake the Big Butterfly Count every summer, between July and August. (Photo...